Marijuana Possession Defense
While the possession of marijuana is prohibited by federal law, it is typically state or local police who enforce this and other drug laws. In Dallas, marijuana possession charges are aggressively pursued by prosecutors against anyone believed to have possessed the controlled substance.
Penalties Associated with Marijuana Possession Convictions
Like in most other parts of the country, the possession of marijuana in Dallas may result in a number of adverse legal consequences. In Texas, marijuana possession charges are typically pursued according to the following guidelines:
- Two ounces or less—up to 180 days in county jail & $2,000 in fines;
- Two to four ounces—up to one year in county jail & $4,000 in fines;
- Four ounces to five pounds—up to two years in state prison & $10,000 in fines;
- 5-50 lbs—up to 10 years in state prison & $10,000 in fines;
- 50-2000 lbs—up to 20 years in state prison & $10,000 in fines; or
- Beyond 2000 lbs—up to 99 years in state prison & $50,000.
Wherever your possession charges fit into this framework, our Dallas legal team will do everything they possibly can to reduce, or ideally eliminate, the charges brought against you.
Consult with a Marijuana Possession Defense Attorney in Dallas
If you have been charged with the possession of marijuana in Dallas, you need to speak with one of the criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter to begin developing a legal strategy for your defense. To discuss the particulars of your case with one of our Dallas criminal defense attorneys, please call our Dallas offices at (214) 845-7007 today.