Dallas Firearms in Public Places Defense Attorneys
In Texas, firearms are a big part of life, and residents enjoy many freedoms to carry those guns. However, in certain public places, such as airports, carrying a firearm is illegal and can result in significant consequences. Punishments for these infractions are serious. Assistance from a criminal defense attorney is necessary to improve your chances of facing a reduced sentence, not guilty verdict, or dropped charges.
At Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter, we are committed to representing individuals who have been charged with offenses related to carrying weapons in public places. Mark Lassiter has the experience and knowledge necessary to assist you with minor offenses or more serious crimes. Contact us today at (214) 845-7007 for a free, confidential consultation of your case.
Do I Need a Lawyer?
If you have been charged with carrying a firearm in a public place, you may be facing serious penalties, including steep fines and the loss of your gun rights. To avoid these penalties, you will want to hire a lawyer with experience defending against gun crimes. The public defender assigned by the court may not be aware of the complexity involved with these cases, and they may not anticipate the best defense strategies to use. Retaining a lawyer with significant experience in defending individuals in prosecutions involving carrying firearms in public places is essential when the stakes are so high.
Why Choose Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter to Handle My Case?
At Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter, we always handle your case with the utmost care. Attorney Mark Lassiter will be well prepared to defend you no matter what the circumstances of your case or what type of proceeding is involved. You will always be represented by an aggressive advocate who has your best interests in mind.
In his role as a former airborne infantryman, Attorney Lassiter learned the importance of discipline and attention to detail while working under strict timetables in extremely stressful environments. He brings those qualities and more to the way he represents his clients. Mr. Lassiter and his team keep clients up to date on all details of a case and are always available to answer questions.
Types of Cases We Handle
Even if you are licensed to carry a firearm, there are certain places in Texas where it is illegal for anyone to carry a firearm. We handle cases of firearms violations in locations that restrict your ability to carry a firearm. These locations include:
- Airports: It is unlawful to carry a gun in the secured portions of an airport, which includes the airport terminal building where entry is controlled by the inspection of people and their property under federal law. Firearms may be checked as baggage under federal or state law prior to entering this type of area, and if this has been done properly, there is no violation. Additionally, a person with a license to carry a concealed handgun and has that handgun at an airport screening checkpoint must be given the opportunity to leave the area immediately without being arrested.
- Courts: It is illegal to carry a firearm in a court or court office without written authorization.
- Polling places: Carrying a gun at a polling place on election day or while early voting is happening is a criminal offense.
- Racetracks: It is unlawful to carry a firearm on the premises of a racetrack.
- Schools and educational institutions: It is illegal to carry a gun on the premises of a public or private school, educational institution, or a place where a school-sponsored activity is occurring. Unlicensed carry of a firearm is prohibited on college campuses.
A conviction for a firearm offense can result in fines and jail or prison sentences and may impact your ability to obtain a license to carry in the future. If you have been charged with a firearm offense related to carrying a weapon in a public place, you need experienced legal counsel who will defend your rights. At Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter, we can mount a strategic defense if you think you were wrongfully charged. We can also craft a satisfactory plea deal to help you avoid the worst penalties, if applicable in your case.
Contact Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter
Charges of carrying a firearm in a public place are a serious matter. If you or someone you love has been charged with this offense in Dallas or the surrounding areas, Law Offices of Mark T. Lassiter will aggressively fight for your rights and provide you with the top-quality representation you need and deserve. Don’t leave your future to chance. Contact our gun crimes team at (214) 845-7007 or via our website to schedule a free, confidential consultation.